Ted,

I suggest you go back and read the thread at
http://www.mail-archive.com/ibm-main@bama.ua.edu/msg100976.html, or I can
send you a copy of all 50 emails in the thread. You'll see that I am a bit
confused that you refer me to this thread, because you may recall that we
established:

* that IOSRV=TIME has not been honored since compatibility mode went away.
* that SMF30BLK still contains EXCP count when IOSRVC=TIME was used
* Cart before the horse: IO service units are derived from either the EXCP
counters or the Connect Time counters, and not the other way around. Both
counters exist no matter what IOSRV value is specified.

I also checked the type 15 record and SMF15EXCP captures EXCP count only.
There is no mention of connect time, either measured or devolved from IO
Service units.

1) So what were you pointing out exactly?

2) If you did not say "You want to use connect time to figure out MB/sec on
FICON" then what was the intended outcome of your advice " Mind you, connect
time has to be multiplied by nominal/actual/ficticious transfer rate."
because I cannot find another purpose for your suggested calculation,
contextual or literal?

3) If you are aware of connect time elongation on FICON, then why would you
suggest using a metric based on connect time in the first place.

TIA for helping me with my confusion.

Ron

Behalf Of