In addition to the overhead of software encryption, consider the effects of the loss of hardware compression for the data written to tape, which will affect both tape performance and thus elapsed time and the amount of tape used. Both effects might pose challenges for jobs that need to finish in a fixed amount of time or that were written to use a particular number of tapes but might need more without compression.

This is overcome to some extent in some of the software encryption products (including ours) by using hardware compression instructions to compress the data before encrypting it. This of course uses more CPU than simply encrypting and writing, but it avoids some of the problems above.

However, note that the controller-based data compression algorithm, at least for for IBM controllers (which, if I recall correctly, use a modified ZL algorithm), provides better compression than that used by the compression instructions (which I think might predate ZL), so there might still be some breakage at the edges from performance and tape utilization standpoints.

Last but not least, pay attention to key management in whatever solution you choose. Security of storage, possibility of exposure, backup and recovery, and DR are probably all things worth thinking about both from operational and cost standpoints.

HTH...

O'Brien, David W. [C] , NIH/CIT wrote:
Can anyone suggest a methodology to measure GB per hour written to tape?

Management is seeking to evaluate the additional CPU overhead that s/w
encryption might entail.

IBM's Volume mount analyzer gives tape allocation and tape mounts per hour but
not, to my knowledge, GB written per hour.

Yes, we are still discussing h/w vs. s/w encryption. Thank you to all who
responded to the earlier thread.

Thank You,
Dave O'Brien
NIH Contractor