Ted,

You want to use connect time to figure out MB/sec on FICON? Be my guest. I
would rather beat my head a against a steel spike :-)

The busier any component in the path gets, the more inaccurate it becomes.
Path includes the MP on the host and the storage, ISL if you have any
cascading, command latency, business continuance processing, and multitude
of other variables.

It's your dog Ted, and I would name him Caveat Emptor.

BTW IO Service units never counted blocks. It counted the EXCP provided by
the Access Method of which some counted blocks, and some did not. I agree IO
connect time was a far more accurate way of counting IO Service Units, and I
have used it in just about every IPS I have built.

However Connect Time has never been a reliable metric for calculating MB/sec
on ESCON. You usually accomplish this by placing average connect time into
blksize buckets, and multiplying that blksize by the SSCH Rate. The ratio of
connect time to data transferred is not linear on ESCON, so you need a
collection of magic numbers, not just one. When I have been forced to use a
single multiplier it has always been one that assures an overestimate. (I
made my living doing Remote Copy sizing in half a dozen countries for over
half a decade. I have several scars and T shirts).

Ron

Behalf Of