At 00:55 -0500 on 09/27/2010, Brian Westerman wrote about Re: Really dumb IPL question:

It's more work to tell them multiple places that it can go, but it leaves it
up to the site to decide what works best for them.  We even have a small
derivative of one of our products (SyzCMD/z) that can be run as a step
before any job that checks for dependencies and waits for things to be the
way the site (or we) need them to be before things go forward, like (but not
limited to) TCP is up (or not), VTAM is up (or not), some other task is
running (or not running), etc

That sounds useful but unless my memory is inaccurate an STC must be a single step so that utility is not useful unless it has the option of being able to issue an XCTL to the real program once the system status has been verified.