I think you are mis-interpreting the remarks from by IBM. "Not wanting to diagnose problems caused by" does not mean the object is "to protect IBM". It simply means a desire to not waste resources pursuing unique and avoidable problems when those resources could be better used to solve real problems for its customers.

MVS is not like MicroSoft's Operating Systems, which are certainly not known for data integrity or security. One of the consequences of "unpredictable action" can be data loss or security exposures, and this is simply not acceptable on an Operating system like MVS, where such failures are taken seriously. I side with IBM on this one. The wait state codes are probably the only level appropriate for such a problem, because loading enough of the system to bring up enough of the I/O support to write a more user-friendly message somewhere could also risk damage to the DASD farm when you have no idea how serious of a problem exists.

A new z/OS release always requires new IPLTEXT installation. Any maintenance that requires it should have PTF HOLD data informing of that need, and if you ignore the HOLD data that's your fault. If maintenance that requires IPLTEXT rebuild is missing the required HOLD in the PTF, then you have a legitimate issue with IBM; but the correct resolution is to fix the HOLD information.
  Joel C Ewing