------------------------------------<snip>------------------------------------
Good point. I have no idea whether there is actually a frequent need to make a functional change in the IPLTEXT or if 99.9% of the changes are just to match dates with Nucleus. If the later, then the Nucleus and IPLTEXT should obviously contain something that indicates an IPLTEXT version required by the Nucleus that could be verified instead of the date, and a differently dated nucleus that still requires the same IPLTEXT functional level could still indicate the old IPLTEXT version. That way the IPL process could validate IPLNEXT/nucleus compatibility without requiring a date match, and the need to update IPLTEXT would be minimized.
IIRC, the NUCLEUS is the ONLY part of the system that uses SCTR loading. I have to wonder if changes in the SCTR loading is related to IPLTEXT changes?

Rick