In <005d01cb5f72$0646ba00$12d42e...@org>, on 09/28/2010
   at 06:02 PM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> said:

>Judging from some of the posts here I think that those of you in the
>user sysprog community think we software vendors stay up at night
>trying to think of ways to annoy you.

It doesn't matter whether it's incompetence, malice or orders from
above. If my boss asks me to evaluate a products, I'll tell him all of
the problems I spot regardless of the reasons for them.

>The problem is that many of us came up through a development career
>path, not a sysprog career path.

Part of development is requirements analysis. You need to talk to your
customers and potential customers.

>While I'm on a rant here you in the sysprog community should keep in
>mind that you are not the entire audience for our products.

And you need to keep in mind that in some shops we get asked before
procuring, and in some shops we get listened to when we suggest
dropping a product at renewal time.

If my boss tells me that we have budgetary problems and need to find
some software to drop, the first ones that I will suggest are the ones
that are causing problems.

So by all means put in additional information, but not at the expense
of the information that we need, and not in a misleading fashion.