From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
John McKown
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 14:02
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: DFDSS VSAM logical restore?

Thanks, Alan.
How about IDCAMS EXPORT / IMPORT? We are looking at what it would take to
replace CA-FAVER. It is a good product, but we are looking at possible
alternatives. IDCAMS is __slow__!

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><

On Oct 20, 2010 2:59 PM, "Starr, Alan" <alan_st...@calpers.ca.gov> wrote:

Hi John,

I don't expect that it would. As far as I know, DF/dss "logical" processing is
aware of datasets and "records" (i.e. blocks) but doesn't usually concern
itself with the content of these datasets. There are two exceptions that I'm
aware of:

1) DF/dss can change the amount of unused (pad) space in a dataset
2) DF/dss can change a PDS into a PDSE

I believe that if you want to "reorganize" a VSAM dataset, you'll have to use
VSAM REPRO (which consolidates split CIs and CAs).

Cheers,
Alan