Alan and John,

In the case of John's question the answer is no, the KSDS will not be
reorganized when you use DFSMSdss RESTORE.

However, this is not true for all DFSMSdss processing. Where you copy or
move a dataset DFSMSdss will try to use utilities to process the file, and
in the case of VSAM it will be reorganized if it does not use FCV2 or you
specify FASTREPLICATION(NO).

You can verify that a utility is used to process a dataset by specifying
UTILMSG=YES on in the PARM statement. This will cause REPRO, IEBCOPY and
whatever statements to be written to SYSPRINT.

Ron

Behalf Of
> Starr, Alan
> Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 12:59 PM
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Subject: Re: [IBM-MAIN] DFDSS VSAM logical restore?
>
> Hi John,
>
> I don't expect that it would. As far as I know, DF/dss "logical"
processing is
> aware of datasets and "records" (i.e. blocks) but doesn't usually concern
> itself with the content of these datasets. There are two exceptions that
I'm