Automation is just another user of the system albeit a programmed one.
To attempt to define "what" is an automation only message would be easy.

An automation only message is sent from an automation unit to an automation
unit for the purpose of them information each other of  events, using text
messages.

TSO users are automation taken to the intelligent level ( I know I will get
comments for saying that :) ) where they receive both visual and textual
message from the system and respond to them.

I would not wish to have my TSO users disappear from the system messages for
much the same reason that the programmed automation messages should be
visible and recorded too.

I need to see what is going on in my system and those messages are a part of
it. Even "heartbeat" messages tell you that something is still looking for
work if nothing else.

So if the customer has an MPF list entry for an automation message, then
they need to live with it being hardcopied IMHO. If they dont want it
hardcopied then remove the MPF exit that processes it.

OR are you saying that the existence of ANY MPF processing even if not for
their automation message causes it to be hardcopied?