-----------------------------------------<snip>--------------------------------
You can get in trouble even if you know those nuances, because an idiom has semantics based on factors beyond vocabulary. Understanding the individual words perfectly doesn't help.
I remember from college of a translator program that covered multiple languages. The phrase "Out of sight, out of mind" was fed in, in English. After translation to a number of other languages and finally back to English, it came back "Invisible, insane."

My point: idioms and other common phrases can often be the hardest to translate to another language, even if you think you know all the possible constructs. Simply translating words isn't enough!

Rick