On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 12:17 +0000, Martin Packer wrote:
> Not to dismiss the sample at all but...
>
> ... this really shows off the grottiness of Classic REXX as a language...
> I have incantations just like these (and knowing enough of object-oriented
> languages and Object REXX) I wonder why we haven't ported Open Object Rexx
> to z/OS yet... Most of this example would be MUCH better if implemented in
> Object REXX. For example alloc_member and alloc_dsname stems could be
> attributes/properties/members of a single object. (And increment and
> decrement operators wouldn't be a bad idea either - though in THIS case
> some form of collection class would probably be better.)
>
> Martin
>
> Martin Packer,

I agree that Object REXX on z/OS, especially in the UNIX arena, would be
wonderful. Once again, I am frustrated by things beyond my control. I
would love to look at porting it. The source is available. What is not
available, to me, is a real C compiler. GCC is a real C compiler. But I
just can't get the GCCMVS to work for me. Guess I'm just stupid. I
failed compiler theory in college and it's still haunting me, 35 years
later.

Wish I could afford Dignus C & ASM or Tachyon Workbench (ASM only). I
just can't. 'Nuff said or I'd say too much.

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><