On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:15:01 -0500, Lizette Koehler
<stars...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I have been reading the manual on resizing our SMF MAN files.  We are not
using LOGSTREAMS, just VSAM.
>We are z/OS V1.11.
>
>It says that we need to IPL to change our MAN files.  Is this correct?  Are
there reasons that an IPL is required when altering the size or cisize of
thse files?

>Thanks
>
>Lizette

Changing SIZE, no.  Changing CISIZE, yes.   I don't think setting SMF
NOACTIVE works for the latter case either.  Why?  Because IBM says so.  :-)

If only changing the size, just create / swap in and out SMFPRMxx members.

1) switch SMF
2) dump dsn you switched from (and any other ones that are full)
3) activate new member without the dsn(s) you want to delete / define (not
    including the one just switched to in #1)
4) delete / define / format new dsn(s)
5) activate new member with dsn(s) you want active.

Repeat the process to get the last dsn (the one you switched to in #1).

If you just delete / define and not format in #4, SMF will format it when
you do the SET SMF=xx command to activate the member.

Mark
mailto:mzel...@flash.net