On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 22:19:27 +0100, R.S. <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl> wrote:

>W dniu 2010-11-16 21:26, Mark Zelden pisze:
>> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:15:01 -0500, Lizette Koehler
>> <stars...@mindspring.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I have been reading the manual on resizing our SMF MAN files.  We are not
>> using LOGSTREAMS, just VSAM.
>>> We are z/OS V1.11.
>>>
>>> It says that we need to IPL to change our MAN files.  Is this correct?  Are
>> there reasons that an IPL is required when altering the size or cisize of
>> thse files?
>>>

>Just to complement other responses:
>You can change size of MAN datasets and *number* of datasets.
>IMHO it's good idea to have many datasets, the higer SMF recording
>activity the more datasets.
>
>BTW: In fact I remember no ROT (rule of thumb) regarding CISZ of MAN
>datasets. Maybe default is simply OK?

Once upon a time (I think pre MVS/ESA V4 or 4.3) the CISIZE had to
be 4K.   I have found that many shops still have their MANx data sets
with a CISIZE of 4K over the years.

Someone already mentioned MXG, but Cheryl Watson has also written a lot
about this and published some benchmarks using various CISIZEs in the
past.

For 3390, I have been using this for CISIZE and BUFFERSPACE (and those
numbers may have come from Cheryl, but I don't recall for sure):

BUFFERSPACE(106496) -
CONTROLINTERVALSIZE(26624) -

As far as the other comment regarding number of dsns related to
activity, I don't see a correlation.   I like to have at least 3, but
most of my systems have 4-6.  As long as the dump process works
well and you can keep up, I don't know what advantage there would
be to having (say) 10 small ones on a very active system compared to
3 or 4 big ones.  The reason we have more is to give a buffer for when
a problem crops up (like the DB2 team leaving on an accounting trace)
or getting through the GDG enq delay that prevents dumps during nightly
processing that rolls up daily data.

Regards,

Mark
mailto:mzel...@flash.net