In <aanlkti=29p26ome3vbcev6ldfhu-jpwd09cv5sgxt...@mail.gmail.com>, on
11/30/2010
   at 09:57 PM, Mike Schwab <mike.a.sch...@gmail.com> said:

>Here is an idea to bounce around.  z/OS Unix System Services does a
>lot of work converting ASCII to EBCDIC and back.  z/Linux works all
>in ASCII.

I doubt it.

>Could we do some sort of Unicode translation?

We already do.

>Have GPR2 point to a memory area that
>indicates how many bytes per digit, then the 10 characters for 0-9?

Why introduce a lot of unnecessary complexity for something that can
be done easily. The existing instructions are perfectly adequate for
dealing with decimal data in Unicode.

>Would we want the number of digits?

Doing arithmetic in arbitrary baes is a different issue than doing
decimal arithmetic in arbitrary character sets.

     Silly wabbit, trits are for kids!