On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 20:43:28 -0500, Dan Blake
<dansinthecaroli...@sc.rr.com> wrote:

>We are getting ready to install SAS base, Graph, ETS, FSP and ACCESS.
>Anyone experience issues with the installation?  How long on average did it
>take?

Funny you should ask.  I've been working on 9.2 TS2M3 for about 3 months
now.  This does not even work like the SAS 9.1.x install, let alone SAS 8.  My
predecessor (now moved on to greener pastures) spent 2-3 months on 9.2
TS2M0.  We have Base, Graph, ETS, FSP, three of the ACCESS features, QC,
Table Server, AF, and STAT.  The remainder amounts to a rant, but herein lie
the traps I fell into...

You will not only need a TSO region size of 800MB, as previously noted, if you
plan on using OSHELL (OMVS), but you will also need your OMVS segment (in
lieu of system-wide defaults) to specify CPUTIMEMAX(1500) (or more), and
ASSIZEMAX(838860800) (800M) for spawned tasks.

To use the z/OS Download Manager or the GUI installer, you need an
Xwindows server/client.  Proxies were not the only hurdle - if you're without
admin rights on your desk / laptop, it simply will not work.  I had to use the
Windows DM, plop the entire order on my PC, then ftp it up to our z/OS
sandbox.  TIP:  if you have to go this route, make sure your ftp client has the
option set to preserve full path & file names.  Another TIP:  make sure you
don't have spaces in your "Depot" starting directory - by default, that's what
the Windows DM creates (OMVS won't like it).

Once uploaded, I had to use the linemode installer.  Since we're JES3 (or if
your ftp connection is JESINTERFACELEVEL=2), I had to use the -nojobsubmit
option.  Good thing, too, because I had to heavily edit the SIA1ALOC job - no
use of SDB in their JCL, and even the BLKSZISE to SPACE=(blk,(...)) parms
didn't match up.  One of their allocations was so big as a result, it blew the
limit for non-extended datasets.  I wouldn't recommend using extended-format
datasetes, either, SAS doesn't seem to like them much (except for the one
PDSE they allocate).  I had to jump-start the auto-submit sequence once I
fixed the allocation job.

Hot fixes are no fun, either.  The directory structure on the SAS ftp site is a
nightmare to navigate.  Add to that, our SAS registry somehow got
corrupted.  The support folks were able supply a corrected one.  However,
replacing the bad one in the "Software Depot" meant re-installation from
scratch.  Once I got through all that, I just yesterday completed installation
of all the pertinent fixes to the base products.  There is a LOT of manual
processing in between.

The support rep I worked with was indeed very helpful, especially given the
fact that the process is a complete kludge for the z/OS environment.  In their
infinite wisdom, SAS is trying what so many other ISV's are - a one-size-fits-
all "wizard" that is neither a wizard, nor fits.

The whole experience was enough to $%#& off the Good Humor man.

HTH,
Art Gutowski
Ford Motor Company