OK. I'm not sure if this is off-topic or not. If it is, then I apologize. But
I'm wondering if z/OS is "lacking" in some areas. Or limited in some way that
you wish would disappear. I'm assuming that "cost is not a problem". Which is a
stupid assumption, of course.

Possible examples, which are just examples without justification.

JCL enhancements: Make a JCL enhancement or replacement so that it would be
more like a scripting language. The ability to have a DO loop. Or trap JCL
errors. Or arithmetic in // SET commands within a DO loop (perhaps a // LET ?).

Job names > 8 characters. Larger set of characters to be valid in a job name
(such as lower case and _). Step names > 8 characters. More valid characters,
again such as lower case.

JES job token which is guaranteed to be unique within a JES MAS forever.
Perhaps based on the STCKE value in some way. And put this token in every SMF
record so that each SMF record can be related to a specific, unique, JES
entity. Perhaps this should even be universally unique, not just with a MAS or
just for a JES managed "job" but for any and every possible executable entity.
Basically so that I know which SMF records belong together and not have any
confusion. Yes, it does happen that the SMF "joblog" jobname+reader start
date/time is not unique. I've done it.

Support FBA, at least for non-legacy datasets which do not need hardware keys
such as VSAM, PDSE, etc.

Support sequential files via ACB interface. It would simplify AMODE(31) coding.

Implement a Linux ABI emulation layer in z/OS UNIX to allow Linux/s390x
executable programs to run under z/OS UNIX. Granted, they'd still be ASCII
based, but it might be worth it.

Implement something in z/OS UNIX akin to the Linux /proc pseudo filesystem.

A JES UNIX pseudo filesystem which allows access to JES SPOOL as if it were a
UNIX filesystem. Perhaps via SAPI interface so that those RACF profiles are
used for access.

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT