On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:53 AM, McKown, John
<john.mck...@healthmarkets.com> wrote:
> OK. I'm not sure if this is off-topic or not. If it is, then I apologize. But
> I'm wondering if z/OS is "lacking" in some areas. Or limited in some way that
> you wish would disappear. I'm assuming that "cost is not a problem". Which is
> a stupid assumption, of course.
>
> Possible examples, which are just examples without justification.
>
> JCL enhancements: Make a JCL enhancement or replacement so that it would be
> more like a scripting language. The ability to have a DO loop. Or trap JCL
> errors. Or arithmetic in // SET commands within a DO loop (perhaps a // LET
> ?).
<deleted>

You could run a TSOBATCH job and execute a non-ISPF clist within it.

My suggestions:

When a SMS volume is set to DISNEW, consider the volume to have no
space in calculating free space for the storage group, and try to
migrate to ML1/2 in every hourly migration.

When a SMS volume is set to DISALL, migrate MIG(0) to other primary
volumes if not in use.

When a SMS volume is set to DISABLE ALLOCATION (DISALC), allow opens
to datasets on that volume only if already open.  If dataset is not
allocated, perform MIG(0) to another primary volume before opening.
This would clear a volume after a short shutdown and restart of
application that is using it.  (Kind of like integrating LDMP into
SMS).

Create some sort of similar status setting for non-SMS volumes.
--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA