On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:26:12 -0800, Edward Jaffe wrote:

>On 1/17/2011 1:56 PM, Dave Salt wrote:
>> The response to the recent promotion of using SimpList for free during all of
>> 2011 has been exceptional. The promotion finishes at the end of this
month, so
>> if you haven't signed up yet and don't want to miss out I suggest acting fast
>> (see my original email below). Note: you must contact me off-list for the
>> promotion code if you want to take part in the special promotion; i.e. do NOT
>> download the free trial from the MacKinney web site as this would set the
>> trial to the regular 30 days.
>
>I inquired about taking advantage of this offer for 2011 and was told that
>SimpList is not available for use by ISVs. :-(

Same here.  It makes me wonder if he is serious and has frankly left me with
a much lower opinion of him.  Here is his reply to me:

<quote>
Thanks for your interest in trying SimpList.

I'm sure you understand that any vendor has to be cautious about letting
another vendor study their software. This is especially true when the period
is for an entire year.

I have to commend you on your very honest statement that you "don't see much
hope that we will buy it at the end of the year". To be equally as honest, I
can only say this makes the risk/reward ratio too unfavourable.

I hope you understand my position and that it doesn't cause any hard
feelings between us. I assure you absolutely none is intended.
</quote>

and my response to him

<quote>
The reason that I mentioned that I didn't see much hope that we would buy it
at the end of the year is that I an just a software developer.  I have no
influence over software purchases.  This is not much different from most of
the subscribers to IBM-Main.

Frankly, if you think that we would steal your code or your ideas, I don't
see what the difference is whether we take you up on your free trial or buy it.
</quote>

I wonder if he considers that to be "rude".

Of course, I could easily have not mentioned that I work for Compuware when
I made the request.

Tom Marchant