If /tmp is on HFS, then use confighfs to expand it, like:

confighfs -x 10C /tmp

to add 10Cylinders to /tmp on the current volume

confighfs -xn 10C /tmp

to add 10Cylinders to /tmp on a new volume (HFS in this case must be SMS
managed!)

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/BPXZA590/SHCMDDES.CONFIGHFS.1

If /tmp is zFS, then use zfsadmim

zfsadmin grow -aggregate dsn.containing.tmp.filesystem -size new.max.size.in.k

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/FCXD5A80/ZFSADMGROW

If /tmp is TFS, you are in deep doo and I don't know how to help.

===

Why can't you find the file causing the problem? This is a common problem in
UNIX. Without going into detail which I'm not qualified to explain, it is
possible to "delete" (unlink() or rm) a file which is currently open in a
process. This removes the directory entry, but does not release the space! In
fact, the file can continue to grow. The space will be released with the last
process which has it open does a close on it. You can see this by running a
shell script similar to the following.

#!/bin/sh
cd /tmp2 #/tmp2 is on its own filesystem!
exec 3>some.file #open fd3 to some.file
rm some.file #remove the directory entry
while true;do #forever
ls -l / >>&3 #add onto what was some.file
ls -l
df .
sleep 1s
done

This script will run until you interrupt it. On each iteration the amount of
space in /tmp2 will decrease. But you will never see "some.file" listed. As
soon as you interrupt the script, do a "df ." and you will see all the space in
/tmp2 come back. That's because interrupting the script closes the inode which
is then deleted and its space freed.

Many utilities to this type of thing to have file work area without worrying
about something else being able to mess with it. Most weird to us z/OS types.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group