On 2/1/2011 9:03 AM, Elardus Engelbrecht wrote:
Juan Mautalen wrote:
as you may know, Ñ(X'69') is an important character in spanish languaje. We
have z/OS 1.9, and i have observed the following odd behaviour:

What I see in your post is a Capital N with a small reversed horisontal letter S
on top of Capital N. Is that correct?

No. It's a tilde. On my keyboard it's the shift character
on the key left of the '1' key.

You can put Ñ in datasets and browse/edit them without any problem (from
ISPF). You can even have Ñ in RACF database (for instance, in a userid NAME,
or INST-DATA).

However, when an Ñ happens to be written to SYSLOG, you see it as a
blank. In others words, in SYSLOG, Ñ is replaced by blank (X'40').

What are you using to see SYSLOG? SDSF? What if you copy SYSLOG
somewhere and you edit the dataset?  Do you then see the correct hex
characters?

Do we have some misconfiguration?

Perhaps switching to English? ;-D

Or Afrikaans?

Tell us if you get any solution. I would really like to see it.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our new tool for calculating your Return On Investment
    for training dollars at
  http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html