Peter

> ... but I'm getting sick of this repeated, useless posts.

In checking to find this important reference I see this is not the first time
you
have tried to deny this seemingly for some inconvenient truth.

Perhaps on the very few occasions the matter arises, you should just resist
the temptation to reply and go into a dark room in order to compose yourself.

-

The reference I rediscovered was the following:

http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0907&L=ibm-
main&T=0&F=&S=&P=198809

and, in order to spare you and any others who are in a similar state of denial,
here is the content of the referenced post:

<quote>

> I still think that IBM should have chosen another acronym for Unix than USS.
I believe VTAM USS table is still valid, and still used, so it is confusing to
me
that IBM should use the same acronym for something that is still in use.

We did not chose "USS" as an acronym for z/OS UNIX System Services. It's
not on the list of names people are supposed to use, and nobody in IBM
should use this abbreviation to mean z/OS UNIX System Services. (Anyone
from IBM who thinks differently should contact me so I can tell them why
they're wrong.)

In reality, herding cats is easier than making absolutely sure that everyone
uses the correct full and short names all the time in all contexts, formal and
informal, but we keep trying.

</quote>

I also rediscovered another reference from the last time this topic flared up
which confirms absolutely what is "official":

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/globalization/terminology/u.html

Thanks are due to Ed Finnell.

-

> First, if you want to be correct, ...

Secondly, if you want to be correct, it's "these repeated, useless posts."

-

Second, "USS" is nowadays commonly being used as the abbreviation for the
above mentioned z/OS component.

Yes - and incorrectly.

> Look at IBM manuals, look at APARs, look at HealthChecker, to name but a
few.

There are IBM manuals and IBM manuals. As I did in order to confirm I wasn't
dreaming some time ago when the deniers were rampant - they know who
they are! - I checked and analysed the UNIX System Services bookshelf for
the letters "USS". Yes there were a few but, if "USS" is official, I should
have
had a deluge of hits, shouldn't I? There were a few examples of some of John
Eells's cats which had strayed.

If you perform the same search on all manuals in the z/OS V1R12 bookshelf,
what is most striking is the weight of Communications Server manual "hits" and
the relative paucity of others. If you take the trouble to check others you
find
that very often the "excuse" is that "USS" appears where the programmer -
since it often applies to program output - is constrained for space or the
author is in the middle of a table and wants to save space. Rather rarely one
finds "UNIX System Services (USS)" in manuals for products which need to
refer to "UNIX System Services" and have become infected with the rash for
which I am attempting to apply a salve!

It's interesting that quite a number of "hits" are caused by having to refer to
the "HealthChecker" function which, in a sense, would appear to have become
a Trojan horse.

-

> We should really help those willing to learn about USS instead of
unprofessionally teaching them that "USS" has got more than one meaning.

Unfortunately you refer to a post which responds directly to what Linda
Mooney had posted and deals with her substantive problem so this comment
cannot validly apply to that post.

One of the other responses to Linda Mooney's post which refer to her use
of "USS" also go on to deal with her substantive problem so, again, this
comment cannot validly apply to that post.

The only other response involving "USS" was mine and the purpose there was
to highlight an incorrect word in the supposed expansion of "USS" in its
original
VTAM/SNA context. I addressed the inappropriateness of commenting on Linda
Mooney's use of "USS" since she had the excuse that the significance of "USS"
in this thread had already been explained earlier in the thread - so this
comment cannot validly apply to my post either.

I leave you and all readers to draw an appropriate conclusion - and yet again I
have had to deal at length with a careless posting!

> No offence intended, ...

You will find that you avoid offense better by reading and thinking a bit more
before addressing the keyboard.

-

If you're really serious about understanding this topic, you can take the time
to go back to July 2009 and read through the thread, "USS misuse", in the
archives which starts with the following post:

http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0907&L=ibm-
main&T=0&F=&S=&P=197609

Although appearing to come "out of the blue", this initial post was actually
continuing an earlier discussion where the use of "USS" in its official sense
had
been misinterpreted because the incorrect sense was assumed and which
sense applied was not fully evident from the context - although it is quite
likely that the incorrect use was assumed because of the preponderance of
misuse:

This can be seen from these two earlier posts in the thread "Mainframe
hacking":

http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0907&L=ibm-
main&T=0&F=&S=&P=131204
http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0907&L=ibm-
main&T=0&F=&S=&P=132279

in which the misunderstanding was tentatively resolved in the following post:

http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0907&L=ibm-
main&T=0&F=&S=&P=132698

Checking the contributors in both these and related threads which is a
roll-call
of the usual suspects, I see you are missing. I guess you must have been
taking a well-deserved holiday!

Chris Mason