Rob

> At the very least you should apologize.

At the very most there is absolutely nothing whatsoever in this world for
which I need to apologise - unless it's for causing so many supposedly
intelligent people to let their bigotry overcome them to the extent that their
inability to read posts is exposed!

I'd decided I'd better get my responses in - although it is a Saturday
afternoon which I had actually assigned to dealing with the clean-up of a real
problem - before any others shoot themselves in the foot over this topic.

Perhaps I should solicit some apologies - but, as the saying goes, I'll keep
filling and emptying my lungs in the meantime.

> I have to admit that when I first saw this post, I assumed it was a tongue-
n-cheek post and promptly deleted it.

You should stick with your instincts.

Actually, on review before posting I debated with myself over whether the odd
exclamation mark was warranted but I decided that it was so obvious that my
tongue was not held centrally within my mouth that surely none were needed.
It is after all an extremely trivial correction to have reminded Dick Bond that
he really meant to key "System" but his fingers managed to stray to "Session"
and the length to which I spun out this screed should have been ample
indication of an untamed tongue.

> After reading it again... I can only apologize to the originator of this
> thread
for the mean-spirited and completely unhelpful nature of your response.

You've lost me! - an exclamation mark is unavoidable in this case. Please read
my response to Linda Mooney and follow up on the references and you will
understand why I am lost.

It's actually at times like this when I imagine - alongside an irony failure -
that
the bile which inexplicably seems to well up whenever anything remotely
connected (get it?) to SNA appears utterly to cloud judgement in so very
many of the IBM-MAIN subscribers. I can only assume something like that sort
of event has happened here.

Ask yourself this question: to whom was my response directed?

Then ask yourself, given the jokey nature of the response - to the intended
person: was it correct?

Then ask yourself: "am I completely off the rails?"

> It is well documented that you have an unbelievable pet-peeve regarding
the USS acronym.

I have provided a reference in my response to Peter Hunkeler to a thread
where there are a number of my contributions concerning this topic, which
only the bile circulating in your bloodstream can be describing as a "pet-
peeve".

> I think you have made your position abundantly clear.

I'm not sure I have.

Essentially

- I accept the use of "USS" in its original, "official" VTAM/SNA context in
which
context it should not be necessary to have to apply any qualifications but
because I am a very kind person - do you need any sort of exclamation
mark? - I anyhow usually make sure that the context is understood.

- I accept the use of "USS" in its incorrect z/OS - doffing my hat to Peter
Hunkeler's sensibilities - UNIX System Services context reluctantly if it is
explained properly in the form of "UNIX System Services (USS)" on its first use
in a post or, slightly more reluctantly, - back to where we came in - at least
somewhere in the thread.

- I bite my tongue - assuming it has returned from my cheek - when "USS" is
used *within the body* of a post without further explanation as long as the
incorrect use is evident. I even accept a certain ambiguity in the concept
of "incorrectness" in that, if all reading the thread understand what "USS" in
the context of the thread means, it must be deemed "correct" at that level.

- Fortunately, I have a low blood pressure so I can tolerate the use of "USS"
in the incorrect context in a "Subject" line when it is quite possible that
insufficient context is provided to be sure which "USS" applies.

- Much the same as above applies to any transient document, presentations,
APARs, redbooks, but *not* to "official" IBM manuals such as those found on
the z/OS UNIX System Services "bookshelf" since the authors should, and
actually by and large do, know better.

- What I do not tolerate is the pretence, so evident in this little batch of
posts, that "USS" is correctly used for other than the VTAM/SNA context - as
long as we are in the more global context of IBM systems - just to head off
some of the less than intelligent contributions from some quarters ...

> Perhaps you feel it has been too long since your last reasoned rant
regarding the USS subject.

Please take the trouble to read through my earlier post for how I managed to
get involved in this thread. It was to correct a mistake in the explanation of
what "USS" means in its correct form. It was *not* in order to raise the topic
of its incorrect use; Dick Bond had already done that! It wasn't me m'lud, it
was that other fella!

That I am now obliged to defend this position yet again is because of
the "incoming".

> In which case, please feel free to start a thread restating your opinion.

You have already obliged that!

Nor did I anticipate that the bigots would come out of the woodwork in such
numbers. Otherwise I guess a spin-off thread would have been appropriate.
Unfortunately it's a bit late now.

Also don't you sometimes - as I do - look into a thread that is, by the
Subject, ostensibly boring but which has somehow persisted as far as 20 or 30
posts? Usually this long life means that a stimulating tangent has been found.
However no one has thought to revise the Subject.

> BUT... It is just not ok to hijack a post and effectively belittle a poster.

I'm afraid you've lost me again. Perhaps a few deep breaths are necessary.

Regarding "hijacking threads", my previous comment applies.

> I shouldn't even have to post anything about etiquette to long time
members.

I can't argue with that.

Chris Mason

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 03:13:49 -0500, Rob Schramm
<rob.schr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Chris,
>
>I have to admit that when I first saw this post, I assumed it was a
>tongue-n-cheek post and promptly deleted it.  After reading it again... I
>can only apologize to the originator of this thread for the mean-spirited
>and completely unhelpful nature of your response.  It is well documented
>that you have an unbelievable pet-peeve regarding the USS acronym.  I think
>you have made your position abundantly clear.  Perhaps you feel it has been
>too long since your last reasoned rant regarding the USS subject.  In which
>case, please feel free to start a thread restating your opinion.   BUT... It
>is just not ok to hijack a post and effectively belittle a poster.  I
>shouldn't even have to post anything about etiquette to long time members.
>At the very least you should apologize.
>
>Rob Schramm

Behalf

<di...@dis.wa.gov>