John

> Where it's not confusing, USS can mean UNIX System Services to me.

And anybody else as long as there's no evidence that they are assuming it is
correct usage. It's when it is assumed that it is correct usage that noses can
come into contact with paving stones.

All of which provides the reason for

> The old time VTAMers want USS to mean the VTAM use and it alone. That is
sacrosanct to them for some reason.

I've mentioned it before but it's worth restating that it's not so much "old
time
VTAMers" but "new time Communications Serverers" who are very much aware
that TN3270 users - really a rather common breed these days, courtesy of the
TELNET server provided by z/OS Communications Server, get to be able to use
Unformatted System Services commands and messages and have with their
long heritage dealing with the function really rather got used to calling a<n
instrument for turning earth> a<n instrument for turning earth>, namely USS!

And this USS is alive a kicking and sometimes a poor IBM-MAINer (or IBMTCP-
Ler) has the odd problem which he - or she - is entitled to flag up for the
attention of other subscribers as "I can't get my USS command to work"
or "Why does my USS message not show my IP address" - or whatever - in
the Subject line. And if I was unkind I might expect that all those who had
forgotten - or never knew - that USS was a reference to Unformatted System
Services originally for SNA human end-user "terminals" and these days nearly
always 3270 emulators to risk burst blood vessels over opening up a post
eager to discover some interesting query regarding z/OS UNIX System
Services and finding they were all at sea, perhaps on an United States Ship!

> But I've gotten used to typing z/OS UNIX just to be as clear as possible.

For which you are heartily to be congratulated, this being the "official"
abbreviation AFAIK.

Chris Mason

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 06:29:57 -0600, John McKown <joa...@swbell.net>
wrote:

>And stupid me thought USS meant: United States Ship. Like HMS means
>Her/His Majesty's Ship. Except where it means Home Marketing Services.
>The old time VTAMers want USS to mean the VTAM use and it alone. That is
>sacrosanct to them for some reason. Where it's not confusing, USS can
>mean UNIX System Services to me. But I've gotten used to typing z/OS
>UNIX just to be as clear as possible. And given my arthritis, spelling
>is optional to me any more. The purpose of writing is to communicate.
>Granted clear communication is best done by proper use of words,
>grammar, and spelling. But this is not a professional writer's forum.
>
>On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 06:11 -0600, Mary Anne Matyaz wrote:
>> Rob, I have to agree. The tone of this board is extremely defensive.
Perhaps