zIIPs require special SRB enclave coding, as I understand it. zAAPs run java
byte code. There is an option to run zAAP java byte code on zIIP engines in
some case that I forget all the details of.

Java is no more dangerous than COBOL. And no less dangerous. It can't do
anything that COBOL can't in terms of security. Java code does not require APF
authorization and likely shouldn't have it. Any more than COBOL code should.
There is nothing "special" about the java byte code as far as security is
concerned. Java byte code is just another, rather high level, set of assembler
instructions. But there are no Java byte code instructions which are likeunto
"priviliged" or "semi-priviliged" instructions on the z. They are more like
normal "general instructions". Just like the COBOL compiler does not generater
any priviliged instructions.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV