>The biggest obstacle for privileged programs is that SRB mode is more
>restrictive than task mode. Not all services are allowed in SRB mode; many
>functions require a TCB. Error recovery for an SRB is nowhere near as flexible
>as for TCB. Also, debugging is not as easy for SRB as for TCB.

I can't really count the times when I had to explain srb-to-task-percolation
to some vendor scheduling srbs and not being able to debug, much less fix
their 0C4s!

>There is not even
>a control block equivalent of the TCB where the operating system keeps
>information about an SRB while it's running!

I don't understand. Suspended SRBs all have their SSRB, and there's the
IHSA. The state of the SRB while it is actually dispatched can be seen in
the cpu status and PSA, reliable with regards to storage only in an sadump.
Or has that substantially changed while I wasn't looking?

>In light of these restrictions, I suppose one could argue that more difficult
>programming means less stable programs.

Exactly. And less people knowing how to figure out what went wrong or even
to imagine what might go wrong! Just look at all the discussions here on
ibmmain about this exact topic.

Best regards, Barbara Nitz