<snip>

>   On the other hand, for problems which occur intermittently in
> production environments and are not reproducible in the development
> environment, how do the debugging facilities available on Windows,
> Java and Unix in general compare to those facilities on z/OS?
>
> Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY

We helped kill a z/OS to Windows conversion meeting with some simple questions.

Q. "This batch process takes 4 hours to run on z/OS. How long would you
estimate your converted process would take?"
A. "About the same amount of time."
Q. "Suppose the process terminates abnormally for some reason after about 2
hours. We get a dump to address the problem and generally fix it from there. Of
course, we then need the full 4 hours to run the fixed program. How would this
be done on Windows?"
A. "Recompile the program with debugging enabled and then single step the
program from the command line until the problem occurs."
Q. "Are you kidding? Single step the program with the programmer monitoring it?"
A. "Yes."
--- everybody faints in shock about how long that would take. And how much
caffeine and pizza would be consumed.
Vendor when everybody revives: "That is why once the conversion is completed
and you are running the mainframe apps on Windows, you need to do a business
process analysis to change how these processes are done. But that is not
covered in this contract."
--- some managers have another fainting spell.

That is basically what happened. I don't know how Windows people do debugging
of an aborted production program. The above does match how I used Turbo Pascal
back when I did some minor Windows programming (Win95 time frame).

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group