John,

Your z9 already has an internal coupling links and theoretically you can run a
CF lpar in your z9.  Since you have a single engine T01, IBM warns against
doing this.  You may want to check with your IBM business partner about getting
sub-capacity pricing for IMS.  You would pay for the amount of usage of IMS as
opposed to monthly licensing fees.  If you have a CF, it will likely take about
a large a machine as you currently have to run it.

Ernie.

"John Thinnes" <john_thin...@ohionational.com> wrote in message news:
<OF35089889.CA30BC1C-ON85257892.00453733-85257894.0072A92E@LocalDomain>...

In order to save on IMS MLC charges (uses about 3%), we are investigating

adding a second 'IMS LPAR' to our configuration (on same CEC).  Currently

we are running a 2096-T01.  We run a production LPAR and occasionally a

TECH sandbox LPAR.

In 2012 we may be looking at replacing the T01 with a 2 engine z10 or z196

box.  When I was discussing these plans with our IBM business partner,

they indicated to run a SYSPLEX, we were going to needed to have a

Coupling Facility - and that the CF engine was rather expensive.

I had been reviewing the MVS Setting up a SYSPLEX manual.  I am probably

being dense, but it is not obvious that a CF is required.  Are there any

little z/OS shops out there doing this?  Is a CF required?  Is there any

other special hardware or software required.  We already run with XCF, WLM

and LOGR datasets.

I did see info in the archives in the 2009 thread 'how to - sysplex'.