On 5/31/2011 1:08 AM, Ed Gould wrote:
We had also semi looked at assembler G. We had a batch initiator set up for
assembler H compiles (long story and probably only semi interesting). The people
who developed this system and I am honestly not sure on how to explain it but I
will try and shorten it to easy understanding (I can try and answer questions
but memory and 30 years doesn't help).

The assembler H (and G) were the only assemblers that could handle the extreme
macros that these "programs" were created by. We tried the XF and the subsequent
and they could not come close to handling these macros.

We used the G assembler for programs that were laden with macros. One of my projects had more than 100 modules, each taking about 5 or so minutes to assemble with F and XF. Under G they each ran under a minute, but I did find an error. When a DC (or other) contained a text string with a doubled quote, and the first landed in column 71, ASM G would consider that the end of string, and treat the continuation card as comments. That made for problems as that program was distributed with a collection of macros resembling a stage 1, and I had to add extra checks for lengths of generated strings and finagle.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT