I'm probably going to get myself into trouble with this.  But as they say in
Finnnish, Olkoon.  Or in Savo, Olokoon.

Seems to me that often times people get hung up on performance when it isn't
necessary.  Now, don't get me wrong, talking about performance is cool.

And don't get me wrong here either, sometimes performance is crucial.  Like an
application that gets run thousands of times a minute or hour or some such.
And if we are talking assembler (or called modules), then you guys here and
especially on the assembler list have a lot of  cool things to say about it
all.  And if that module is Cobol, then, well, nobody can really (or can they?)
expect it to be re-written in assembler to make it faster.  (Can you write
Cobol to be faster?  And "structured" at the same time?)

And don't get me wrong here either, again, but a fairly simple Rexx/ISPF
application doesn't really need a lot of performance tuning? does it?

And I've heard somewhere along my travels that sometimes it is better to slow
things down a bit when you are dealing with a user interface, like a CICS
application.  That "too fast" is sometimes just, well, too fast.

Ok here, I'm really being totally honest.  In what sort of situation would
performance be important in these examples (from a few users to a few thousand):
1) A simple ISPF application with all the panels, skeletons, etc buried at the
end of the exec and sourceline() used to scan for it.
2) An ISPF application, complex or not, but let's say complex, that does
LIBDEF's to all necessary ISPF libraries.
3) An ISPF application, complex or not, but let's say complex, that has all
necessary ISPF libraries allocated in the logon proc.
4) Throw in PDSE's here.  I don't use them, and I don't understand them.  And
because I don't understand them (and I've not taken the time to do so) I always
seem to get myself into trouble when using them.

I've actually written a fairly complex ISPF/DB2 application all using Rexx and
I have a half second response time (max).  And since DB2 calls were (though
dynamic) fairly simple, I would expect a 1000+ users to have similar response
time.

I'm sorry.  Sometimes bigger performance isn't always better.  IMHO.  But I
like talking and thinking about it!

Someday I'll take the time to try to understand what "pipeline" means.  You
guys talk about that a lot.

:-) Lindy