<Snipped>
> And if that module is Cobol, then, well, nobody can
> really (or can they?) expect it to be re-written in assembler to make it
> faster.  (Can you write Cobol to be faster?  And "structured" at the same
> time?)

Most definitely COBOL programs can be written to be faster, and still
structured.  For example, in one program that I worked on I traded moving
8000-byte record areas around willy-nilly with the following:

1. Some of those record areas were moved to the LINKAGE SECTION;
2. A few pointer variables were defined in the WORKING-STORAGE SECTION; and
3. Replacing some of the willy-nilly MOVE statements with SET statements to
make a LINKAGE record area address the WORKING-STORAGE record area that was
previously MOVEd.

That change alone saved some 10-15% of average CPU time in a program that
processes many millions of records daily (statistically averaged over multiple
runs).

> And don't get me wrong here either, again, but a fairly simple Rexx/ISPF
> application doesn't really need a lot of performance tuning? does it?

Probably not.

> And I've heard somewhere along my travels that sometimes it is better to
> slow things down a bit when you are dealing with a user interface, like a
> CICS application.  That "too fast" is sometimes just, well, too fast.

I never heard that one, but I can see the logic of it in the right
circumstances.

<Snipped>
> I've actually written a fairly complex ISPF/DB2 application all using Rexx
> and I have a half second response time (max).  And since DB2 calls were
> (though dynamic) fairly simple, I would expect a 1000+ users to have
> similar response time.

Did you by any chance get to measure it with 1000+ users?  Or even with 100+
users?  Measurements have trumped expectations in more cases than I care to
remember.

Not saying your expectation is wrong, but until you measure it you won't
*really* know.

> I'm sorry.  Sometimes bigger performance isn't always better.  IMHO.  But
> I like talking and thinking about it!

So do some other folks here, I've noticed... :)

> Someday I'll take the time to try to understand what "pipeline" means.
> You guys talk about that a lot.

A CPU pipeline is the hardware advance that makes measuring program CPU time a
gambler's game, since there is no longer any guarantee at all that a program
will consume the same CPU time from one execution to the next, even with
totally identical inputs.

Frustrates the heck out of those of us who are charged with reducing the time
it takes a production program to do its job, since we are reduced to executing
multiple runs and using statistical averages.  And you know what they say about
lies and statistics... :)

Of course, the best CPU improvements are always gained from better application
design rather than code tweaking, but that's not always a viable alternative.

HTH

Peter

and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.