Fair points.

However, there are two things I want to mention:

First, let me note that BDT, in its new incarnation as z/OS elements, is still very much in service even though it has not not been under active development. (The last update was in OS/390 R2.) Only the former standalone product has been withdrawn from service.

Second, if I were a betting man, I'd bet that requirements against FTP would stand a better chance of success of being satisfied than requirements to reopen BDT. Feel free, of course, to submit requirements against either, both or neither.