From: John Eells <ee...@us.ibm.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Tue, June 14, 2011 9:17:03 AM
Subject: Re: BDT and PDSEs

Fair points.

However, there are two things I want to mention:

First, let me note that BDT, in its new incarnation as z/OS elements, is
still very much in service even though it has not not been under active
development.  (The last update was in OS/390 R2.)  Only the former
standalone product has been withdrawn from service.

Second, if I were a betting man, I'd bet that requirements against FTP
would stand a better chance of success of being satisfied than
requirements to reopen BDT.  Feel free, of course, to submit
requirements against either, both or neither.

Art Gutowski wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:44:19 -0400, John Eells<ee...@us.ibm.com>  wrote:
>
>> I'd suspect that most people use FTP these days for PDS and PDSE
>> transfers, both of which it supports (including load modules and program
>> objects, I'm told by the developers).  There are other ways to skin the
>> cat but (as someone who is NOT a non-networking expert!) this seems like
>> the most likely one to me for simple transfers.
>>
>> (Note: The BDT product, 5665-264, was withdrawn from service in 2008,
>> but it lives on as a set of priced optional features and a base element
>> of z/OS.)
>
> John,
>
> I responded to Cheryl offline, but your response prompts me to speak up
> publicly...
>
> While not 'most people', I know of at least one large shop that is still a
>heavy
> BDT FTF and NJE user (JES3).  I'm sure usage of the former grew from the
> necessity of the latter.  Conversion of PDS' to PDSEs had been a repeated
> frustration over the years, and probably still bites them on the ankles (or
> slightly higher) periodically.
>
> FTP works for load modules, true, but (1) it doesn't handle certain load
> modules at all (AFAIAA), and (2) users have to be vigilant of the transfer
> parameters they use, and (3) it's a pain for big, multi-dataset transfers.
BDT
> was a no-brainer, and it is disappointing (frustrating) to me that IBM
withdrew
> this product from service and refused to write support for PDSE.  Although, I
> suspect it is as much DFSMS' fault for not providing the sort of transparency
> to the access method that would allow BDT to support PDSE without
> modification.  BDT handles PS-E datasets, so QSAM but not BPAM, eh?
> Unless, of course, BDT is doing something untoward with BPAM, which is not
> out of the question.
>
> Before anyone suggests XMIT/RECEIVE - one word:  unattended.  Make that
> three:  checkpoint and retry.  There are other products out there, I am sure,
> but for those JES3 shops that have not yet moved to TCP/IP NJE and have to
> run BDT NJE, why would you buy yet another transfer product?
>
> (1) While these types of load modules may not reside in PDSE, I gave up on
> using FTP across the board because it continually chewed up modules
> with "unusual" linkage attributes like page-aligned and scatter-load.  So now
> it's FTP for PDSE and BDT for PDS?  Argh.
>
> Regards,
> Art Gutowski
> Compuware Corporation

John Eells