You have to verify if SFTP(ssh ftp) or FTPS(ftp over tls) is used but on
z/OS, for what I know we use only the second.
Regarding port question, I'm almost sure that port may be also 21 for
ftps that doesn't matter...(and may also be high and not secured)
SMF if implemented can use default TYPE 119 with different subtype record.

Configuration of connection method is on DD SYSFTPD.
For secure connection you will find a SECURE_FTP allowed or required and
other parameter like secure_mechanism(i.e. TLS).

If you can verbose or debug your connection(or you have a log) you will see
if  AUTH/PROTP is done.
i.e.
EZA1701I >>> AUTH TLS
234 Using authentication type TLS
EZA2895I Authentication negotiation succeeded
EZA1701I >>> PBSZ 0
200 PBSZ=0
EZA1701I >>> PROT P
200 Protection level set to P
EZA2906I Data connection protection is private

For uss connection SYSFTPD can be included using -f option and security
mechanism specified using -r option.

Hope in this.