I tried to do something like that around 1985.  At the time I was using EXCP in
an authorized program to do most of the same things that STARTIO will allow you
to do but unauthorized EXCP will not, such as do I/O to an offline device, do
I/O to an unallocated DASD track, etc.  The way I was doing it with EXCP was to
modify the DEB after an OPEN so that the DEB's UCB pointer contained the
address of whatever device I really wanted to access, the DEB's extent list
contained the CCHH of whatever track I wanted to access, etc.  I wanted to be
able to use different caching algorithms as well, but there was no way to do
that with the fields in the 1985 version of the DEB.  I raised the issue in a
SHARE project, but it did not rise to the level of a requirement.  Within a
year or two IBM had added many new fields into the DEB Extension that answered
most of my needs.  But by then I was using STARTIO anyway, so I quit trying to
do everything via EXCP.  There are still quite a few in!
 teresting things that can be done only with STARTIO; e.g., direct the I/O to a
specific channel path if the device has more than one path available, use MIDAW
and several other indirect addressing formats, use Transport Mode, increase the
scheduling and/or execution priority of your I/O request to way above everybody
else's, and exploit almost every I/O feature documented in the PoO.

The STARTIO interface is quite dangerous to the health of the system if it is
not used correctly, which may also be part of why IBM has never officially
externally documented the interface.  They did release some working examples of
it, however, back in the ancient days when source code for JES3, Media Manager,
and other strategic components was available.  They also documented how STARTIO
works internally fairly well in the days of MVS/XA in their 17-volume logic
library, but did not include a working sample of how to invoke it.

Bill Fairchild
Rocket Software