This has all been interesting but I don't think my question has been
answered (sorry if I missed it). Some said I could get the real return
address in the save area trace but I do not think that is correct since
the calling program saves the registers and R14 points to LINK(x) or
ATTACH(x) when the calling program is called. As for the PRB/SVRB
discussion application programs run under a PRB.

It was my understanding that attach returned to the OS but in my case
I am seeing some pretty wierd things going on if the attached task
ends immediately.

As to the reference to LINK/Attach manuals it simply states that the
registers are changed (I had already looked there). It didn't say what it
did with the real R14.

Any help is appreciated.