My first thought is data proximity to instructions.

That is data being modified within the width of the processor I-cache.

The data modification will cause cache flush of the I-cache, and many
processor cycles to re-establish the cache and various pipelines.

This happened with SAS when the z/900 (?) processors came out.

There should be a discussion in the archives about the SAS version of
this issue.

The solution is to move the data far enough away from the instructions
so that the modification does not cause the cache to be flushed.

HTH,

<snip>
Hello,  We recently installed a Z196 and we have one COBOL DB2 program
that is using twice the CPU time as before the new CPU.  The program has
not been recompiled and the data volume is the same.  IBM has found
nothing, yet.  Strobe has not revealed any answers.  All other programs
use about 1/2 of the CPU time now.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
</snip>