So, since it is Cobol, would just a recompile with a recent compiler be
sufficient to generate an efficient loadmodule?

We discussed a similar issue internally recently with regards to the new
instructions that are available on today's machines and were not 10 or
20 years ago when an old module was compiled. Also for this reason,
recompiling it could make it more efficient.

Kees.

"Staller, Allan" <allan.stal...@kbmg.com> wrote in message
> My first thought is data proximity to instructions.
>
> That is data being modified within the width of the processor I-cache.

> The data modification will cause cache flush of the I-cache, and many
> processor cycles to re-establish the cache and various pipelines.
>
> This happened with SAS when the z/900 (?) processors came out.
>
> There should be a discussion in the archives about the SAS version of
> this issue.
>
> The solution is to move the data far enough away from the instructions
> so that the modification does not cause the cache to be flushed.
>

> HTH,
>

> <snip>
> Hello,  We recently installed a Z196 and we have one COBOL DB2 program
> that is using twice the CPU time as before the new CPU.  The program
has
> not been recompiled and the data volume is the same.  IBM has found
> nothing, yet.  Strobe has not revealed any answers.  All other
programs
> use about 1/2 of the CPU time now.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
> </snip>

e-mail, and delete this message.

33014286