In <4e315430.6f0f.008...@efirstbank.com>, on 07/28/2011
   at 12:20 PM, Frank Swarbrick <frank.swarbr...@efirstbank.com> said:

>Are these concerns justified or just paranoia?

Yes. It sounds paranoid, but there is at least a theoretical
possibility of social engineering by giving you as a reference for a
scam. Most of the victims won't actually contact you, but will simply
assume that you know of the message and approve.

The best bet is to ask your boss[1] whether to use your work account
for IBM-MAIN and how much contact information to include.

There's a similar situation with magazine articles. Most places that
I've worked at would be miffed if I published an article without
giving my affiliation, but some have asked that I not give it.

[1] He may not have the authority to decide, but should know
    whom to ask.