On 7/28/2011 2:20 PM, Frank Swarbrick wrote:
Our information security officer sent the following to my
manager:  "The content Frank is positing does not appear to
be specific to our environment.  However, I am concern by the
fact he posts his position, where he works, and phone number.
This creates some social engineering risk, as well as
discloses information about the operating systems we use.
Who can I talk with to ask Frank to remove information
related to where he works on this conversation thread and
future ones?"

Are these concerns justified or just paranoia?

Just make them aware that list traffic is archived and echoed all over the place. If the security officer can't live with the state of affairs, just inform him/her that to mitigate things, the company needs to change its name, street address, all ip addresses, phone numbers, employee names and titles, and then restrict the new information from the web. As is, the horse is out of the barn..... <g>

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT