On 8/4/2011 7:02 AM, Crabtree, Anne D wrote:
In our IEFACTRT (accounting exit), an assembler program, it has the following
commands:

L     R2,PARMJOBC
ICM   R1,7,0(R2)

If PARMJOBC contains a binary integer length of 4 with 00 00 00 08,
what ends up in all bits of R1?

Unpredictable. The first instruction picks up data from
memory location named PARMJOBC, but the second instruction
uses that value as an address not as data.

Either the first instruction should be 'LA' or PARMJOBC
contains an address. If PARMJOBC contains an address,
it should probably not be location 4 in memory!

I am trying to add additional values to what is in R1 by doing:

MVC   WK1(4),SMF30CPS
A     R1,WK1

Why would you do this instead of just using one instruction:

  A  R1,SMF3OCPS

??

This is not doing what I want it to do! If SMF30CPS, also a binary integer
length of 4, has 00 00 00 01,  what ends up in R1?

Anne D. Crabtree
System Programmer
WV Office of Technology Data Center
1900 Kanawha Blvd East
Charleston, WV  25305
(304)558-5914 ext 58292
(304)558-1441 fax

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* Special promotion: 15% off on all DB2 training classes
    scheduled by September 1, taught by year end 2011

* Check out our entire DB2 curriculum at:
    http://www.trainersfriend.com/DB2_and_VSAM_courses/DB2curric.htm