*NO*

LR   R1,R1 will not zero out R1.     SR    R1,R1  will zero out R1.

<snip>
Prior to the L R2,PARMJOBC, there is a LR  R1,R1 which zeroes out R1
right?  So, does R1 have data in it or an address?  I was assuming that
R1 had data in it (with leading zeroes and 8 on the end) and I'm trying
to add other values to that value.  How can I do that if not the way I
tried (ICM followed by the MVC and A)?
</snip>

<<SNIP>>
A mask of 7 loads the low order 3 bytes, so that r1 would contain
whatever the high order byte it contained
originally plus 000008 in the low order 3 bytes.
L     R2,PARMJOBC
ICM   R1,7,0(R2)

If smf30cps contains 00000001, then the first 4 bytes of wk1 would
contain 00000001 after the move
And r1 would also contain 00000001 after the add, assuming WK1 is on a
full word boundary.

MVC   WK1(4),SMF30CPS
A     R1,WK1

<</SNIP>>

<SNIP>
In our IEFACTRT (accounting exit), an assembler program, it has the
following commands:

L     R2,PARMJOBC
ICM   R1,7,0(R2)

If PARMJOBC contains a binary integer length of 4 with 00 00 00 08, what
ends up in all bits of R1?  I am trying to add additional values to what
is in R1 by doing:

MVC   WK1(4),SMF30CPS
A     R1,WK1
</SNIP>