From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Robert A. Rosenberg
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 3:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Allocation Conflict with Job

At 15:53 -0400 on 08/08/2011, Bob Rutledge wrote about Re: Allocation Conflict
with Job:

>Even though this step says DISP=SHR, the previous DISP=MOD/DISP=NEW
>will make the allocation for Step 4 appear to be exclusive.

This is due to a Broken as Designed [BAD] design flaw in ENQ/DEQ.
There is no way to downgrade an EXC ENQ to a SHR ENQ although the code to
support it in the ENQ/DEQ code would be easy to add. All that would need to be
done is to update the code that maintains the queue to alter the ENQ record
from EXC to SHR and then check if the next record (if any) for the QNAME/RNAME
was a SHR or EXC. If SHR then drive the code in DEQ that runs the queue to
release the waiting for EXC release hold. This would be the same effect as a
DEQ except that the current owner of the EXC stays at the top of the queue but
now in SHR state. If this downgrade was supported then the Initiator, since it
knows that once step 2 was over and all subsequent steps only need SHR, could
downgrade the MOD/NEW triggered EXC ENQ to SHR.

I can see no reason why this downgrade code would not be feasible (so long as a
flag can be found in the ENQ parm list to ask for this capability). Any
downlevel ENQ code would ignore the flag and just return with the ENQ still in
EXC mode.

If someone can find a flaw in my method, I would appreciate having it pointed
out to me since I can see no reason why it can not work.

lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html