From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Rick Fochtman
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2011 1:56 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Last card reader?

--------------------------------------<snip>---------------------------------
And I've had a few doozies - one program should have had an LA instruction that
got keypunched as an LH; the error was discovered fourteen years later when IBM
changed a control block around so the referenced field wound up on an odd
boundary.
------------------------------------<unsnip>--------------------------------
This one took me 8 months to isolate:

        B      12(,R15)                                  X'47F0F00C'
        DC   AL1(7),CL8'IEFUJV'               X'07C9C5C6E4D1E54040'

Ended up doing a STH of R4 at what appeared to be a totally random address.
Only failed when the clobbered storage was executed.  :-)

Our systems staff had its own sandbox to play, and test, all changes, but that
guy's "under-confidence" was such that he wouldn't even test on our sandbox.

Rick

lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html