Sir,

First, my apologies .. I picked your response only because
I concur with what you’ve said but, in my experience, the
very same happened, both as an employee and as a consultant.

Folks,

IMHO .. this thread has gone long enough ... before I
go on and rant, again, I fully understand and concur w/Eric.

The same has been my experience and am sure the same
applies to everybody else. I must also state that, when
a person starts work at some company, be they an employee
or a consultant, limited privileges are given not because
they're worried about HACK's but more so, because they do
not know the person and want to limit, if not prevent any
potential outages. Unfortunately, in today's world, this
is a bit like wanting (having?) JAVA, C++ and or VB
programmer's on MVS, VM or VSE (there .. I did not say
mainframe).

If I've offended anybody, please accept my public apology.
That said, I've see all kinds of replies to this nonsense
all the way from a certain person making reference to the
Watergate scandal and OS/390 ... HUH ?? OS/390 in the 70's
??... If true .. I admit that I must really have been asleep.

That said, if a 'current' employee (and I don't give a
toss if its' a contractor, or employee or the janitor or
whatever) does any kind of harm to a company system, I DO NOT
consider that to be HACK.

By the same token, if one is able to PHYSICALLY be present
at (as an example) a datacenter and especially a datacenter
that has 'passwords' laying around ... I DO NOT consider
that to be HACK.

If an 'ex-employee' damaged one's production (or even test)
system, I STILL DO NOT consider that a HACK.

One comment I'll make is ... my own (rightly or wrongly)
differentiation in terminology ... I use the term 'mainframe'
to be MVS (or z/OS or whatever you want to call it), VM or VSE.

I do like Linux but sorry, z or NO z, it is still not (yet ?) a
mainframe.

APF libraries ?? give me a break .. I've walked into many places
to install and or upgrade a full system (or should I watch my
terminology and say ... a full shop). This is to include shops that
never had an IBM MAINFRAME before, watched the CE's and FE's roll in
the HDW, create a 'brand new' IOCP/CDS and .........

I'm sure there's going to be plenty, especially from the pro-PC folks,
that disagree with me and that is fine by me only, if 'ex-employees'
and people that should not have access to a system or datacenter does,
then ... perhaps it time people shifted their bull away from hard
working and extremely knowledgeable developers or systems programmers
or whatever have you and started looking VERY closely at this so called
'management' and the 'management infrastructure' everybody insists on.
What a wonderful word 'infrastructure'.

What was that someone once told me ... umm .. I think about two and a
half decades ago .. oh yes ... 'we are going to a paperless' office.

Ironically, since the start of that trend, I've seen paperwork, be it
in physical paper or electronic forms of paperwork ... quadruple. Again,
I digress ... it would yet another long and drawn out topic.

One final comment, Radoslaw, if you were an auditor .. great .. but again,
there's only two things I can say. One of them being that I do NOT consider
anything and everything to be a HACK. The second is that ... despite all the
security in the world .. face it ... there is no such thing. If you invent a
lock, somebody will find a way to break it, if you invent a storage area,
somebody will find a way to get into it. As of the recent, you could have a
concrete room built, with no doors, windows or any other means of access, but
wait, we now have breaking into that too (yes, I'm leaving out a lot of details
but sorry... IMHO.. required).

I'm done with this topic.

Kind Regards

Jim Thomas