McKown, John wrote:

>The SMF timestamps in SMF records, such as reader start date & time, where the
>date is PL4'0cyydddF' and the time is a fullword binary number of 1/100ths of
>a second past midnight. But what is confounding me is that this seems to be
>the LOCAL time, not GMT/UTC (yes, I know GMT != UTC).

This is indeed LOCAL. SMF doc is not that useful describing LOCAL against
GMT/UTC times.

> The problem that I am having is that I really want to convert this to GMT/UTC
> and then format it to RFC3339 encoding (yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss.thZ).

Try this (from one of my live SMF type 30 extract jobs)

MVC   CONTIME,SMF30TME
MVC   CONDATE,SMF30DTE
--------------------------
CONVTOD CONVVAL=CONVVAL,
      TIMETYPE=DEC,
      DATETYPE=YYYYMMDD,
      ETODVAL=ETODVAL

CONVVAL  DS    0F
CONTIME  DC    2F'0'
CONDATE  DS    F
         DC    F'0'
ETODVAL  DS    2F

and try the OFFSET= keyword for your time. Of course you need to do some
editing to insert '-', ':' and '.'.

>Do I just "give up"? Or am I missing something simple?

You may NOT 'give up' :-D

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht