On 9/6/2011 9:37 AM, McKown, John wrote:
I should have said that I know how to convert the SMFSTAMP8 to RCF3339 format. The problem is
determining the timezone offset for a specific date&  time rendered in LOCAL time. Now, for my
own shop, there is only one problem: the 1 hour overlap when converting from standard time to
daylight saving time. I think I'm "dead in the water" on this point. I simply don't have
any way to confirm which offset to use, W.06 or W.05, just based on the individual SMF
record.<sigh>

Perhaps we need a requirement for an option to use GMT in the SMF
header, or maybe to just use TOD timestamps. It would be nice to
have the GMT offset in the records too, but this would require
changes in the record structure which will be harder to do.

I think there are still some unused bits in the header flag byte,
perhaps one could be used to indicate a new version of the header.
If this is done, much thought should be given to what is needed.

--
Richard