From: Rick Fochtman <rfocht...@ync.net>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: OT to my collegues

----------------------------------<snip>--------------------------------------
Thats like the slide-rule days before calculators...
Don't knock that old "slip-stick". :-) For me it's faster than a calculator!

I sometimes tutor high-school kids in math. We start by doing arithmetic on
paper and pencil. Then they "graduate" to using an abacus, then a "slip-stick".
Only when they've mastered these are they allowed to use calculators. I've
found that calculator drops 90-95% after this basic "indoctrination". (Fingers
are not allowed at any time!)  :-)

Rick