From: Tom Marchant <m42tom-ibmm...@yahoo.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: Data offload to DVDs or external drives

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:08:09 -0400, O'Brien, David W. wrote:

>What options (if any) are available for migrating these old study
files and contents of accounts to storage media such as DVDs and
external hard drives that could be securely held (off-line) by the
agencies?

If you really mean DVD, I'd suggest caution.  IBM DVD media is not
very reliable.  If you are going to move the data to a PC to create
the DVD, I think it would be better to write it to a hard drive.  Even
at that, I think I'd want to create two copies on two hard drives.

You might want to consider what Shai Hess offers.

--
Tom Marchant