> Hi All,
>
> One of our application programmer has created a PDS with below attributes
:

>  Data Set Name  . . . :
> TPUN011.NEWMAPST
>

>  General Data                         Current
> Allocation
>  Management class . . : **None**       Allocated blocks  . :
> 741
>  Storage class  . . . : TPUSC          Allocated extents . :
> 2
>   Volume serial . . . : TPUN01         Maximum dir. blocks : 0
> *
>   Device type . . . . :
> 3390
>  Data class . . . . . :
> **None**
>   Organization  . . . : PO            Current
> Utilization
>   Record format . . . : FB             Used blocks . . . . :
> 3
>   Record length . . . : 80             Used extents  . . . :
> 1
>   Block size  . . . . : 800            Used dir. blocks  . : 0
> *
>   1st extent blocks . : 78             Number of members . : 0
> *
>   Secondary blocks  . :
> 100
>   Data set name type  :
> PDS
>

>   Creation date . . . : 2011/10/18     Referenced date . . :
> 2011/10/24
>   Expiration date . . :
> ***None***
>                                        * Information is unavailable.
>
> When he tries to allocate a member within the dataset :
> TPUN011.NEWMAPST(map), he gets a message as "BLDL error" I tried searching
some
> error related to PDF as starting with ISRxxxx but I was not able to fetch
any error
> codes relating to "BLDL" Error in the syslog.
>
> IBM manual has various explanation for BLDL or I/O processing error, but
for the
> above I am unable to pin-point the exact cause.
>
> Looking at the above dataset attribute, I can see a "*"
> symbol beside  Maximum dir. blocks and Used dir. blocks  . : 0, but i am
unable to
> interpret the exact cause.
>
> Could anyone please suggest me your comment on query.
>
> Regards,
> Jags

Jags,

Some thoughts.

If the member addition to the PDS that got the BLDL error, then the
allocation did not include Directory Blocks.  If there were members and now
it shows 0 Dir Blocks, then someone used an IEBGENER (or similar program) to
add a member and did not specify the member name.  Thereby writing over the
directory blocks at the beginning of the dataset.

To allocate in batch the coding should be:  //
SPACE=(CYL,(xx,yy,dd))  where xx is primary allocation, yy is secondary
allocation, and dd is the number of directory blocks.

If allocating via TSO ALLOC command, coding should be:   ALLOC DD(mydd)
DA(mydsn) SPACE(xx yy) DIR(dd) etc...

An IEBGENER Example which Trashes the Directory :

//S0001 EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSUT1   DD DISP=SHR,DSN=some.sequential.data
//SYSUT2   DD DISP=SHR,DSN=mypds
//SYSIN     DD DUMMY

Note on SYSUT2 there is no member specified.  This will over write the PDS
Directory in many cases and there by destroying the PDS.
The correct coding for SYSUT2 is
//SYSUT2   DD DISP=SHR,DSN=mypds(member)

Second, the blksize is not optimal.  I typically allocation with 0 Blksize
and let SDB (System Determined Blocksize) handle what it should be.  The
amount of data you can write is dependent on the lrecl and blksize.  With
today's technology you do not need to worry so much about disk rotation
speed.  When in turn lead to the use of 1/4 and 1/2 blocking on disks.  In
most cases full track blocking will work fine.

If you wish to experiment, take your syslog data.  Create a sequent file
with LRECL=133  BLKSIZE=133 and copy the SYSLOG into it.  Look at the
attributes.  Then do the same thing but with full track blocking.  You
should see a significant amount of dasd space between the two with the same
number of records.  The same results will be true in most cases for a PDS.
A PDSE does not follow the same process so there is not really a comparison.
However, some benefits - PDS/E does not need to be compressed.  Can handle
OBJECTS as well as old style PDS data.  PDS data sets need to be compressed
and cannot be used to hold OBJECTS.

Lizette